After a divorce agreement has been signed, it is sometimes necessary to make changes. But ex-spouses are seldom amenable to modifications. Naturally, a request to alter child support is usually resisted by the other party. The paying parent does not want to be saddled with an unfairly high payment, and the recipient parent does not want to be shortchanged or stuck with added child care expenses that should be shared.

In child support cases, It is important to work with an experienced attorney who can protect you and your children’s interests. You need to show a substantial change in your circumstances in order to increase or reduce your payments. We have had success helping clients looking to modify their child support when new circumstances arise, including:

  • New obligations to support a child from a different marriage or relationship
  • Change in the amount of visitation time a noncustodial parent spends with the supported child or children
  • Change in the medical or educational circumstances of the supported child
  • Significant change in the receiving spouse’s income
  • Involuntary loss of employment by the paying spouse
  • Your children have been moved out of the jurisdiction and your parenting time has been greatly affected
  • Your child has moved in with the non-custodial parent and the original percentage of parenting time has been greatly affected
  • A child has special educational or religious needs, agreed to by both parents
  • Special health care considerations of the child
  • An increase or decrease in income of either party, if the child’s welfare will be affected

Long after a divorce or separation agreement is finalized, modifications in child support orders may be required. A parent may lose a job, or a child may suffer health concerns, among other things that require a modification of the original financial support. We can help obtain the modification and work out a new agreement that better fits the current situation.


We offer a free initial phone consultation and after-hours and weekend appointments. Call 213-785-7873 or 800-488-4850 (toll free), or contact us online.

Se habla español.


Comments are closed.