March 22, 2019
By The Law Offices of Teresa A. BeyersChild Support

When a noncustodial parent is incarcerated, this means custodial parents might stop receiving child support payments. If you’re in this situation, here are some things you need to know.

  • Reduction of child support orders: A noncustodial parent serving a prison term can petition the court to reduce the amount of child support owed.
  • Suspension of child support order: Another modification that can be made to a child support order is to have the support payments suspended until the person is released from custody.
  • Incarceration doesn’t automatically stop child support obligations: If a person is incarcerated, they don’t have a job. However, that doesn’t mean they don’t have income. It also doesn’t mean the child support payments are reduced or suspended automatically. Custodial parents should speak with their family lawyer to find out how their monthly child support payments will be affected.

Are you concerned about losing child support while your child’s noncustodial parent is incarcerated? Contact The Law Offices of Teresa A. Beyers, a family law firm in Los Angeles specializing in complex family law cases, including child support recovery from incarcerated parents. Legal matters related to custody agreements are draining, both emotionally and physically. Teresa Beyers and her legal staff understand these struggles and take the time to work with their clients to help them hurdle the legal challenges. To set up an appointment for a legal consultation, contact the offices at 213-236-4400.

Share On:

    Contact Us

    All Fields Are Requireeed
    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.