When a parenting plan is decided upon, Los Angeles parents may think that the process of child custody is over. It is far from over because it is not unusual for circumstances to change over time. For example, a child custody agreement that at one point in time fits appropriately with a particular situation may no longer serve the same purpose. It could become impractical, unworkable, or impossible.

One area that needs some attention is a plan where one parent decides to move away. An increase in physical distance can cause previous visitation arrangements to be applicable longer. When this occurs, family law attorneys help parents make sure they do everything they can to make amends.

A parent wishing to move out of state with a child must notify the other parent and obtain permission from the court. The judge will consider the motive for relocation and whether it is in the best interests of the child. You need experienced legal representation from professional parental relocation attorneys to protect your parental rights and what’s best for your son or daughter.

The Law Offices of Teresa A. Beyers represent parents on both sides of this complex and emotional situation. Our Los Angeles family law attorney will counsel you in parenting plan negotiations or vigorously state your case in a contested relocation hearing. We serve clients in the San Fernando Valley and throughout Los Angeles County.

What Information Do You Need to Provide In Written Consent

It turns out that providing as much information as possible in the written consent request to relocate is the best course of action. Information reagarding where you are moving to, the reason for the move, a custody agreement, a description of who is paying for expenses should the child have to travel to and from often, and more can help your case.

What If I Am Moving For My Job? Do I Still Need permission

The answer to this question usually relies on whether or not you are moving more than 50 miles away. The main point to focus on here is that this action must be in the children’s best interests. Sure, a new job may offer a higher income for you as the parent, it may not be worth it from the child’s point of view- especially if they experience a disruption in their routine or have to change schools.

If I Move, Do I Have To Get The Court's Permission No Matter What

If your spouse gives written consent to the move, there is no need to court. If the spouse objects, you will need to prepare for a discussion that details where you are moving to and why, how they impact the children, and what arrangements to make to ensure that parental time-sharing continues.

What Happens If The Court Rejects My Relocation Request

In the event your ex-spouse does not give permission for the move to take place, and a judge has reason to believe that the move is not good enough to warrant uprooting the child, then you must discuss a possible change to the custody agreement. That way, you accommodate the children.

What If I Object My Ex-Spouse From Relocating With My Child

You are within your rights to deny your ex permission to move. It will, however, likely proceed to court, which is where you will have to demonstrate that the relocation is not in your children’s best interest. You can also mention how the distance will strain your parent-child relationship.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Teresa A. Beyers. You are in good hands while working with a team full of experience.

Child Custody Move-away Disputes

The family courts will listen when the reason for relocation is a good job, a family support system, or a more stable home for the child. If the parent is moving because of a new love interest or merely on a whim or the hopes of a job, the petition may be denied. If the judge doubts the child’s best interests would be served, a custody evaluator will investigate and make a recommendation to the court.

As an experienced courtroom lawyer, Teresa Beyers knows that you never know. The court may give the relocating parent the benefit of the doubt, or it may decide that the child should stay in California. She urges clients to negotiate the terms of an agreement if possible — you know your child’s best interests better than any judge.

If the court grants parent-and-child relocation, the custody order and perhaps child support will need to be modified. We can help revise the parenting plan, including the visitation schedule, holidays and summer break, travel expenses, and daily contact between the child and noncustodial parent.

Contact The Law Offices Of Teresa A. Beyers

Whether you are requesting to relocate or fighting the petition, Los Angeles parent relocation attorney Teresa Beyers is prepared to fight for you.
Ms. Beyers offers a free initial phone consultation and can meet clients after hours and on weekends by appointment.

Call 213-236-4400 or contact us online.

    Contact Us