At the Law Offices of Teresa A. Beyers, we have substantial experience helping clients in and around Glendale, CA handle paternity cases, helping them establish paternity to settle disputes regarding child support, visitation rights, etc. If you’re currently involved in such a dispute, contact us for assistance navigating these challenging circumstances.
How is Paternity Established in Glendale, CA?
Establishing paternity in California is the process of legally determining the father of a child. This is important for a variety of reasons, including establishing the rights and responsibilities of the father, as well as providing the child with a legal relationship to their father and his family.
There are several ways that paternity can be established in California:
- Voluntary Declaration of Paternity: This is the most common way that paternity is established in California. When a child is born to unmarried parents, both parents have the opportunity to sign a voluntary declaration of paternity at the hospital or birthing center where the child is born. This document, also known as the “acknowledgment of paternity,” establishes the legal relationship between the father and the child.
- Court Order: If the parents are unable to agree on paternity or if one parent contests paternity, a court order may be necessary to establish paternity. This typically involves a DNA test to determine the biological father of the child. If the court determines that the man is the father, a court order will be issued establishing paternity.
- Presumed Father: In some cases, paternity may be presumed based on the circumstances of the child’s birth. For example, if a man is married to the mother of the child at the time of the child’s birth, he is generally presumed to be the father under California law.
It is important to establish paternity as soon as possible, as it can have significant legal and financial implications for both the father and the child. Establishing paternity can also help to ensure that the child has a strong and supportive relationship with their father and his family.
The Benefits of Working With a Glendale Paternity Attorney
Hiring a paternity attorney in Glendale can provide a number of benefits for individuals who are seeking to establish or contest paternity. Some of the benefits of hiring a paternity attorney in California include:
- Expertise: Paternity cases can be complex and involve a variety of legal issues, including DNA testing, child custody and support, and parentage rights. A Glendale paternity attorney has the expertise and knowledge to navigate these legal issues and advocate for your rights and interests.
- Efficiency: A paternity attorney can help to streamline the process of establishing or contesting paternity. They can assist with gathering and presenting evidence, negotiating with the other party, and representing you in court if necessary. This can help to resolve the case more efficiently, saving time and money.
- Protection of rights: A paternity attorney can help to protect your rights and interests throughout the paternity process. This can be especially important if you are seeking to establish paternity in order to secure your rights as a parent or if you are contesting paternity in order to protect your rights and responsibilities as a parent.
These are just some of the advantages you’ll experience when you enlist the help of a qualified Glendale paternity attorney at the Law Offices of Teresa A. Beyers. For more information about what we can do for you, contact us online or call us at 213-236-4400.